- American Folklife Center
- American Memory
- Chronicling America – American newspapers from 1836-1922
- Veterans History Project
- Our Documents – 100 milestone documents in American History
- DocsTeach – Get Ready for National History Day
- Research Tools for National History Day
- Digital Vaults
The Utah Division of State History – Your Source for Utah History!
- The State History Research Center – Access the holdings of both Utah State Historical Society and the Utah State Archives.
- State History Library & Collections – You can search the library catalog here.
- State History Digital Collections – Search photos, film, artifacts, and more.
- Utah History To Go – Online encyclopedia of people, places, and events in Utah History
- I Love History – Utah history for young people
- Utah Digital Newspapers
- Utah Historical Quarterly
- Utah State Historical Society Publications Online – Academic journal articles are excellent secondary sources
- To schedule a tour of the State History Research Center contact Greg Walz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University Research Libraries in Utah
Visit your local university library to find secondary sources such as books and articles. Special Collections at each university house primary source materials on a wide range of topics.
- Utah State University: Merrill-Cazier Library, and USU Special Collections and Archives
- Weber State University: Stewart Library, and Stewart Library Special Collections
- University of Utah: Marriott Library, and Marriott Library Special Collections
- Utah Valley University: Library and George Sutherland Archives
- Brigham Young University: Harold B. Lee Library, and L. Tom Perry Special Collections
- Southern Utah University Library: Gerald R. Sherratt Library, Special Collections and Digital Archives
- Dixie State University: Library and Special Collections
Good Places to Find Secondary Sources
- Utah’s Online Library – Formerly PIONEER online library. Access EBSCO and Noodle Tools here.
- Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)
- America: History & Life – An excellent database available through subscribing libraries.
- Journal of Mormon History
- Utah History Encyclopedia – This classic resource on Utah history by Allen Kent Powell (University of Utah Press, 1994) is available online courtesy of UEN.
- Western Historical Quarterly
- Salt Lake City Library – Special collections and regular collections are available, especially at the Downtown Salt Lake City location.
- Salt Lake County Libraries
- Your city or county library
- State Library
More Primary Source Repositories
- Ancestry.com – Genealogical information, photos, documents, and census records.
- Archives of the Catholic Church in Utah
- California Digital Newspaper Collection
- Discovering American Women’s History Online
- Downwinders of Utah Archive
- Farmworker Movement Documentation Project
- Google News Archive
- The Internet Archive – If you are looking for the historical webpages or other digital documents.
- LDS Church History Library
- Lehi Historical Society and Archives
- Logan Library Archives
- Newspapers.com – Although this is a subscription web site, you can make use of the free trial. Includes newspapers outside of Utah.
- Salt Lake Family History Library
- Utah State Archives – Government documents and other legal records, including birth and death certificates
- Utah American Indian Digital Archives
- Utah Digital Newpapers – This free web site provides access to digitally search newspapers from all over Utah.
- Utah Ski Archives
Museums and Historic Sites
Whether you’re working on a project that focuses on local history, national history, or international history, you’ll need both primary and secondary resources to make your project complete. Here are just some of the great places you can look for resources for your project.
- American West Heritage Center (Logan)
- Anasazi State Park Museum (Boulder)
- Carbon County Historical Society Museum
- College of Eastern Utah Prehistoric Museum
- Fort Douglas Military Museum
- Frontier Homestead State Park Museum (Cedar City)
- Great Basin Museum
- Golden Spike National Historic Site (Box Elder County)
- Helper Western and Railroad Museum
- Hill Aerospace Museum
- John Wesley Powell River History Museum (Green River)
- Museum of Peoples and Cultures of Brigham Young University
- Museum of the San Rafael Swell
- National Park Service – Utah Historic Sites
- Pioneer Memorial Museum (or Daughters of the Utah Pioneers local museum/chapter)
- Park City History Museum
- Territorial State House Museum
- This Is The Place State Park and Old Deseret Village
- Union Station Museum and Research Center, Ogden
- Your City or County Library
- Your City or County Archives and Government Offices
If you would like to be added to this list of resources please email UtahHistoryDay@gmail.com.