The James A and Janet Muir House, constructed in 1897 in Sandy, Salt Lake County, Utah has local significance under Criterion B for Muir’s association with the agricultural and social history of Sandy, Utah, especially during the “Mining, Smelting and Small Farm Era, 1871-circa 1910” category of the Historic Resources of Sandy, Utah, Multiple Property Submission. A quarryman, farmer and influential local leader, James A. Muir was key to the successful development of agriculture, irrigation and water storage in the Granite area (which was later incorporated into Sandy City) between 1883 and 1938, especially during the period when he occupied the house and farm at 2940 East Mount Jordan Road between 1897 and 1922. He was influential in agriculture with the development of irrigation canals and water storage projects which supported his own large farm and also the development of other surrounding agricultural and smelting operations in Granite. James A. Muir influential in the social history of Granite and Southeastern Salt Lake valley as a businessman, as a local LDS religious leader and as a civic leader in Granite. James A. Muir operated an independent quarrying business and later operated the summer Wasatch Resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon. He was also an influential ecclesiastical leader, serving as the third bishop of the Granite Ward between 1901 and 1917 and was responsible for the 1905 construction of the substantial Victorian Romanesque Revival-style Granite LDS Ward Chapel (NRIS #05000364). James A. Muir was a civic leader in Granite, serving as postmaster for seven years. He was also responsible for bringing dependable culinary water to Granite and financing the introduction of electrical power in Granite in 1909. The house, constructed in 1897 of local quarried granite block, is a unique and representative example of a Victorian Eclectic central-block-with-projecting bays home of a successful farmer and civic leader during this period of agricultural expansion. The period of significance begins with the house’s completion in 1897 and ends when James A. and Janet Muir lost the house and farm to foreclosure in 1938 due to unpaid property taxes during the Great Depression.