- This event has passed.
Behind the Scenes Tour of the Natural History Museum of Utah
November 16, 2019 - November 17, 2019
This year’s Behind the Scenes is designed as a tribute to the Museum’s 50th anniversary. Join us as we open locked doors to the public on this rare occasion to highlight the origins of the Museum’s vast collections. Curators, collections managers, researchers, and volunteers will all be on hand to introduce guests to some of their most fascinating objects, including:
- The oldest paleontology specimens based on collection date, including a Utah sauropod dinosaur discovered in 1859
- Objects from the American Southwest collected by Byron Cummings (1860-1954), who is known as the Dean of Southwestern Archaeology
- Featured work conducted in Range Creek Canyon in the 1950s and published 50 years ago
- The first 50 fungal collections added to the Museum’s new Fungarium (founded in 2016)
- Strollers and coats are not permitted in the collections areas—stroller parking will be provided and we’ll have an area for coats too
- Museum admission required (free for Museum Members, U of U faculty, staff, and students)
- Doors to collections areas close at 4:30 p.m.